Friday, September 7, 2012

September Collage Challenge

Time for the September Collage Challenge hosted by Mary Green at Greenpaper.


For Mary's challenges, you must use at least a part of each of the three images that Mary provides.

I glued a bunch of scraps from my art table to a piece of water color paper. It is a good way to clean up and I don't have to feel bad throwing pretty paper bits away.

I put gesso over that to dull the colors. At the bottom I put the scraps on in a different direction so they could become part of the street along with the dairy coupon. I put gesso on top of that too but had to wash it off fast because it covered it up too much. I watered it down and added a little walnut stain so it would contrast with the rest of the background. 


I used the flower petals from the calendar page as the rain drops and used bits of the golden-rod as a border. I felt like it needed something else so I ripped a piece of the calendar and added a flower to the corner.

I'm happy with the way it turned out! Please look here to see what the other participants made with the same images. They are very creative!

Thanks for the challenge, Mary!!!


11 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! The petals as raindrops - inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...those raindrops made from the petals are awesome!! So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    I came to your blog to thank you for having left such nice comments on my blog, but now I am even more glad to have done just that since I hadn't noticed yet that Mary is back with her great challenges!

    You are so smart to use the flower petals as raindrops -- just lovely. :)

    It would be lovely to welcome you back to my blog. Currently, I even have two giveaways -- details are on the left sidebar of my blog.

    Greetings from Germany,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so interesting to see how different people use the same elements. Your piece came together really well and I agree, the petal "raindrops" are a nice finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You really nailed this. I went completely blank when I saw this month's challenge. I mean blank, blank, blank!! Your background is stupendous. I love how it turned out and added just the right amount of texture and detail to the background. It was genius to use the same technique with a different direction and wash for the street below the children. Another genius move was the flower petals as raindrops!!! I am so impressed, it's a great piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think, this is my favorite one! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful collage you have made, Susan... even though there are raindrops in it, this shines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the raindrops -- and I think the way you collaged the scraps makes it look like the paper got wet in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful collage dear Susan, love the scrap background, great idea and perfect for the sweet image.
    Hugs Anni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done! You have great scraps lying around. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
    I like your style. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete