Saturday, May 21, 2011

This and That

I finished sewing all the big mitered squares for my quilt. I think I'm done with the hard parts of this quilt. I should say the parts I was afraid of because I put off that mitering for so long. The rest is just straight sewing. I think!! It wasn't actually that hard but it always seems like it at first when you have no experience. I had to sew the side strips on and leave a quarter inch at the end.
Then I had to fold it with the center part wrong sides together but the outside edges right sides together.
Then I used my quilting ruler and drew a line at a 45 degree angle.

Then I stitched on that line and repeated the process for all 16 corners. I think they came out looking pretty good.


I'm afraid to look but I don't think I cut out the next pieces that I need to attach the squares together. That means I have to clean all my collaging stuff off my table. I don't actually eat at my table, do you? It is my creating space, not my eating space.
Speaking of collaging, I went to a thrift store today to find some old books. I didn't find the kind I was looking for but I found this cool old encyclopedia dictionary.

It's from 1941 and someone sewed on this fabric cover and made a new spine out of cardboard because the original broke off at some point. What sold me on this book were the illustrations in the middle.



Well worth $1.99! Can't wait to use them in a collage.
I am the crafty teacher at school and have been playing with collage with ten girls. I showed them the altered book I made (started) for my Artful Pages class. That was the part taught by Lenna Young Andrews.  I got the kids some old books to alter and they went to town. They weren't interested in much instruction. They just wanted to start decorating their books. Some of them turned out really cute. I didn't get pictures of all of them but here are a few. The girls are between 9 and 11 years old.   
Two covers


Some sticker love!

How's this painted spread?
Yea, I can't even paint this well!

Ok, maybe she should have been teaching me.  
I tried to talk her out of using this picture. ( I wanted it really bad! That gown is to die for! )

    Lastly, I joined a swap. I have never been a part of one so this will be a learning experience. It is for Karla Nathan's Bird Song Tag Swap. I have to make seven tags and send them in. I will then get seven back made into a book. Here are some examples from a swap she did with a Dorothy theme. This photo is from her blog. Her blog is one of my mostest favorites! My tags must have a bird on them. I have an idea already and will share at some point.
Enough for one day. I hope you are having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment